Monday, January 21, 2008

10 minute exercize...




The Sky is Big

I once dreamt I was a bird.
I was high over the mesa.
The sky was over me, under me, holding my wings.
The sky was big, but small as I
was, I was bigger, bigger than when I was tied to the earth.
I was a hawk in the daytime.
I was an owl at night.
My brothers were scared of me, hooting in the tree outside their bedroom window.
My grandmother talked to me in an old language that no one else understood.
But I did.
I could hear her thoughts.
She knew I was a bird sometimes.
I thought maybe she was too.


Photo by C.H. Paquette (2007)
Written by G. Fitzgerald (2008)

G. Fitzgerald lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, is editor of the annual Sertoma Writers' Anthology, was very impressed by her one visit to New Mexico.She is the author of 3 novellas and is working on one from which this dream is an excerpt.G Fitzgerald

(This is from a 10 minute writing exercise practiced by a small writing group in Raleigh, North Carolina. Each person selects a photograph and has 10 minutes to write something using the photo as a creative prompt.)

No comments: